Monday, April 27, 2015

16 Sept 2013

Seriously, I never ever ever ever want to leave. like EVER. This place has brought us so many blessings, much more than I can count.
 
So first things first, last Monday we went to go milk cows right? Well let me tell you this... it was SOO FUN!! Oh I can't wait to go back! haha Sister Martinez and I had a hoot learning how to get them hooked up to machines and get them ready to milk and stuff, I have like a million videos and some pictures so I'll include the pictures at the end. Needless to say, we were covered in you-know-what by the end of the 2 hours, it was so fun.
 
This week was kind of slow but we did see a lot of blessings. We weren't able to contact Carmen all week which was really REALLY frustrating because we couldn't talk to her about her experience at church and help motivate her to come back. Yesterday we stopped by before church and she had just gotten home, she said she wanted to go but was so tired that she felt bad. We tried to encourage her but she would have like 10 minutes to get her girls up and ready so we settled instead to meet with her on Tuesday. We invited her to the RS activity that is happening that day and she said she would go, so we are really excited for that. the Juarez family didn't go to church either, and we haven't been able to meet with them because with the harvest everybody and their dog are so busy. People are pulling all-nighters all the time getting the hay cut, corn gathered and all sorts of other stuff. Beets and potato season is coming up fast too so we might not have ANY work for the next couple months. We are excited though because we have a ton of activities that might help gather the community together, both less actives and investigators too!
 
So we had a little mishap, our investigator Jose (you know the one that came ready to be baptized??) well, he got into some trouble with the law and got fired. He will be moving back to Montana with his wife this week... so there goes that! We felt bad that things ended up how they did, he was really wanting a life change but it's so important to remember that people have their agency, that's the only thing that keeps missionaries from feeling like failures! haha. But I know that as long as I am doing the best I can, that's all that I can do. I can't make choices for Jose, but we hope to catch him this week and at least talk to him about missionaries in Montana.
 
We have seen miracles by working with the Ward Council in all of our wards. It has been amazing to see their willingness to work as we help them get excited about missionary work. The key is always to gain their trust. Especially in small areas like mine, everyone knows everyone-LITERALLY. So if we want their help we have to show them that we can be trusted and that we can help THEM become the missionaries. It has been really great to see their willingness to work with us and help bring people back to the church. I have such a huge testimony of working with members, this work could not happen without them! Bro. and Sister Webb have helped come up with a plan that includes all the auxiliaries of the church, from YW to RS to everywhere in between. We have really seen it pick up and the members are learning how to be missionaries. Ultimately my goal as a missionary is to help them to have enough confidence and teach them enough so that they don't need missionaries! They are already so good at fellowshipping and helping each other out as a community that they really just need to learn how share the gospel in a way that encourages the members to return. This is why I love Idaho, I have never met people that love their neighbors as much as here. They are willing to do anything for them, both temporally and spiritually. I hope that my goal can become a reality.
 
 I have quickly developed a new favorite scripture ( I swear this happens every week). I was reading through the Doctrine and Covenants because it's been a while since I've really read it.... boy did I get a slap in the face! haha. It's amazing how scriptures can do that to you. D&C 3 was given when Joseph Smith lost the 116 pages by giving them to Martin Harris but I learned so much about being a missionary. in Verses 6-8 the Lord reminds Joseph that if only he had been obedient and not "feared man more than God" he would have "supported [him] against all the fiery darts of the adversary; and he would have been with you in every time of trouble". boy how humbling that was. You know, as a trainer I hold a lot of responsibility, and it stresses me out! If one day I were to say that we aren't going anywhere or aren't contacting, my companion would wonder why but probably just say okay. The same applies in all other areas, if I am too scared to knock on a door, I have full control to not do it. but that's not the point... the point is that if we are OBEDIENT the Lord will not only protect us but give us success. I have really learned to rely on the spirit, to rely that although I don't know what i'm doing more than half the time, if I obey I will be blessed. "But remember, God is merciful; therefore repent of that which thou hast done which is contrary to the commandment which I gave you, and THOU ART STILL CHOSEN, and art again called to the work". How grateful I am that Heavenly Father is merciful, that although I am not a perfect missionary He has given us His son to atone for us, allowing us to repent and start over!  I love being a missionary, I love being able to say that I am a representative of the Lord Jesus Christ. I only pray that I can do the title justice!
 
I love you all, I hope you have a wonderful week!
 
Love,
Hermana Calero
 
P.S.   Mom, congratulations on your business! it looks like it's growing fast, keep up the hard work, I love you! and kiddo, you just keep being awesome in helping her out. You're the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment