Wednesday, May 20, 2015

7 July 2014

**The computers here in our local library are having some major issues, so I hope this email goes through. they have been crazy slow lately!!]
Hello!
Wooooo 4th of July! Happy birthday America! Holidays are weird on the mission, we never know what to do. It seems like the whole Hispanic population of Burley was out and about all day, it was kind of slow. Araceli (our RC) took us out to eat with her girls but other than that we didn't do much!
Man, we have been BURNING all week. What is up with this weather, it's been so hot! I thought I was dark before.. I'm a walking piece of charcoal.
Anyway. We've had a pretty slow week. We had exchanges, MLC and ended up going up to Twin like 5 times for one reason or another so there's not much to talk about. But we did have a few really awesome experiences.
We were knocking some doors this week trying to contact some referrals that have been backed up in our pool... We stop and knock on a house, no one was inside but someone was mowing the lawn. The guy comes and talks to us and tells us we were lucky we caught him outside because he usually slams the door on people like us..... nice. Turns out (actually it was the very next thing that he told us) he suffers from depression and is suicidal and he doesn't believe in God....so we tried to diffuse the awkward tension. We asked him several questions, trying to find out about his relationship with Heavenly Father--Atheist. We began to testify of the reality of Heavenly Father and how He truly knows us, how life is not just full of negative but there is also a lot of good. It was so amazing to me how easy it is for us as humans to forget that Heavenly Father loves us in the midst of trials. Sometimes these trials come in order to teach us to be humble and to rely on the Lord, other times it simply because it's what is going to make us stronger and we just need to trust.
As I was studying this week I thought a lot about this young man that we met. I came across this scripture in 2 Cor 12:7-10:
7 And lest I should be exalted‍ above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn‍ in the flesh, the messenger of Satanto buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
 8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
 9 And he said unto me, My grace‍ is sufficient for thee: for my strength‍ is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in myinfirmities, that the power of Christ may rest‍ upon me.
 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am Istrong.
Paul teaches us that The lord gives us weaknesses just so we CAN overcome them. so that He can manifest Himself through them and prove to us that He really is there. When we are weak, we CAN BE STRONG, through Him. I have seen so much of that this week...
Sunday I was able to put my studies into action. We are teaching Bro. Contreras (he is the one with the son on the mission and his wife got baptized in March), we have seen such a big change in him just within the past couple weeks. it has truly been humbling to see how each trial that I have had on my mission has prepared me for that single moment. He had a lot of hard questions, many of which where directed right at me. I had no idea how to answer yet the spirit filled the room as I testified of things I DID KNOW. I am so weak and so imperfect, but I know I can be strong and face anything if I ask for help. I know that regardless what we are going through it's for a good reason, we just need to trust....
OH. also. We found a really cool thing in the library that missionaries used to use. One day it was really hot so we took a break and went to make some copies.. yeah it turned into 45 minutes of watching slides and listening to the tapes that went along with them. hahahahaha. oh technology has come so far. ( we keep hearing about the iPads.. who knows if they'll ever get here...)
I Love you all. I hope you have a fantastic week!
Hermana Calero

No comments:

Post a Comment